On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:43:14 +0200, André Warnier wrote:

[...]

> Yet one appears to do tons of DNS lookups, and the other one not. Logic
> would have it that there /is/ something different somewhere in either
> the configuration, or some file(s) you are not thinking about right now,
> that make the difference.
> You mentioned that you saw the DNS lookups in wireshark. Can you tell
> what these DNS lookups are for ? Have you compared the DNS setup of the
> servers (meaning their /etc/resolv.conf and e.g. whether one of them is
> running dnsmasq and the other one not, or something like that) ?

Later examination showed that the Fedora box (the one working well)
occasionally also does a DNS lookup, but it happens very rapidly.
All the DNS activity is the same -- it is doing a reverse lookup on
the client IP address.  Thanks for your suggestion regarding
/etc/resolv.conf .  I'll do that now.

No matter what I find there, however, we would still lack an
explanation regarding why the new configuration causes the
problem and the old one does not.  This is reproducible --
I have both.

Mike.