Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 14:33:12 -0400, Mark H. Wood wrote:

Local DNS cache of some sort on the Fedora box?  Some of my hosts run
'nscd' (which comes with glibc) and some run BIND in cache-only mode.

Indeed there are two problems, and you nailed one of them:

1. Both boxes have nscd, but it was not running on the CentOS
   box.  Now that I fixed that, all but the first connection
   are rapid, as you might expect.

2. We still do not why the change in httpd.conf caused the
   problem to appear.  However, my belief that there was a
   difference between the two machines was probably incorrect.
   When I tried it for the first time this morning, the box
   that previously been fast was now slow.  No doubt, the
   nscd storage had timed out.

So, you still have DNS lookups of the clients happening.
If they are satisfied locally by some name server running on 127.0.0.1, you would not see them with wireshark, probably. And when they are not in the cache, then it is probably nscd which does the DNS lookup elsewhere, not Apache. Now the question remains of why these client lookups take place at all, even if they are often satisfied locally and fast.