André Warnier wrote:
Mark H. Wood wrote:
Local DNS cache of some sort on the Fedora box?  Some of my hosts run
'nscd' (which comes with glibc) and some run BIND in cache-only mode.

That's also, I believe, what a local "dnsmasq" would do. But in order for the local Apache to use it, you'd have to set 127.0.0.1 as a resolver in /etc/resolv.conf, which apparently is not the case here.

To get back to the basic issue..
We seem to have, on the same host
- an "old" Apache configuration, which does not trigger client DNS names lookups
- a "new" Apache configuration, which does
Yes ?

So I guess we can exclude for the time being the possibility that it might be something else than Apache which does the lookups (I was thinking of denyhosts or the like).

Next obvious question : what's the difference between the old and new configurations ? (sorry if that was explained before, I did not get back to the archives). Do I vaguely remember it had something to do with SSL, or was that another thread ?

Add-on : I guess something else that could trigger lookups, are Allow/Deny directives, if you have things like "Allow from .domain.com". Or, let's be fancy : some nice little thingy that displays in shapes and colors the accesses by domains, or some sophisticated SSI include which somehow does a lookup of the client... As someone else mentioned, without having a real peek at your full configuration, its a bit tedious to make guesses.

If it is about SSL - not my domain at all - then maybe someone else could tell us what kind of SSL configuration could trigger a client name lookup ? (I would imagine that the use of client certs does).