Rich Bowen wrote:

On Nov 10, 2009, at 22:29 , Stephen Love wrote:

Ok, now we're getting somewhere... just ENOUGH to eliminate the path inbetween... I'd just like to ask APACHE for a unique signature of the machine sending the message to compare it against others. Nothing more, nothing less.

Take a look at mod_usertrack: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_usertrack.html
If you don't trust cookies, then you're out of luck.

(many) People on this forum have been trying to convince the OP in (many) previous messages, some of them containing a wealth of information and having required significant time to write, that the only practical technical solution for what he seems to want to do, was using cookies.
It is just that somehow he seems not to be of the believing kind.