From: Haroon Rafique [mailto:haroon.rafi...@utoronto.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 10:23 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [us...@httpd] Passing remote client IP address to backend server
and session stickness

On Today at 10:09am, RJ=>Ruiyuan Jiang <ruiyuan_ji...@liz.com> wrote:

RJ> Hi, Haroon
RJ>
RJ> I see that also but I don't know how to use them. I put the statement
RJ> into my vhost of Apache reverse proxy and the apache complaining they
RJ> are wrong statement, etc.

Hi Ryan,

X-Forwarded-For is not a statement that goes inside the httpd.conf. The
documentation page is just telling you that these headers are already
available to you, if you are using reverse-proxy.

RJ> <virtualhost>

RJ> Proxyrequst off
RJ> X-Forwarded-For
RJ> </virtualhost>

So, don't put the X-Forwarded-For statement there.

RJ> Is above the correct way to use it? I am not much care about the
RJ> remote IP being logged in the Apache log but I am care about the
RJ> remote client IP being forwarded to the backend server since our
RJ> backend server will decide what to do based on the remote client IP.
RJ> Thanks.

For the backend server to be able to "see" the remote client IP, as if it
was the real client IP, your application will have to be aware of the
X-Forwarded-For. Depending on what technology you are using on the
backend, the answer may be different about how to make your backend be
aware of X-Forwarded-For header. Regardless of the technology, you
probably should read up on the XFF entry at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Forwarded-For
And again, regardless of the tech, the HTTP request will contain the
X-Forwarded-For header. On my java projects, I use xebia-france
XForwardedFilter at:
http://code.google.com/p/xebia-france/wiki/XForwardedFilter

YMMV,

RJ> Ryan

Cheers,
--
Haroon Rafique
<haroon.rafi...@utoronto.ca>

This message (including any attachments) is intended
solely for the specific individual(s) or entity(ies) named
above, and may contain legally privileged and
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
replying to this message and then delete it.
Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
or the taking of any action based on it, by other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.