On 8/28/2010 10:39 PM, Frank Gingras wrote:
> On 08/28/2010 03:28 PM, Mike Schleif wrote:
>> I've a client running Apache on a MSWindows server with an
>> intermittent crashing web server service.
>>
>> [1] Names & Versions:
>>
>> OS Name Microsoft® Windows® Web Server 2008
>> Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
>>
>> C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\Apache.exe -v
>> Server version: Apache/1.3.12 (Win32)
>> Server built: Nov 8 2000 20:08:38
>>
>> Service: OracleOraHome81HTTPServer
>>
>> [2] SSL / https
>>
>> [3] Apparently, the service crashes when accessed by Firefox browsers,
>> not Internet Explorer.
>>
>> [4] Following error_log message correlates with crashed service; but,
>> service does NOT always crash when this error occurs:
>>
>> [crit] (10038)An operation was attempted on something that is not a
>> socket: Parent: WSADuplicateSocket failed for socket 284.
>>
>> It is always: "10038" ; always "WSADuplicateSocket" ; always "socket 284"
>>
>> What else do you need to identify the root cause?
>>
>> How can we correct this problem and prevent this problem from recurring?
>>
>> I appreciate all assistance in resolving this issue.

> Mike,
>
> Are you really still running 1.3.12?
>
> Frank

Yes. I've googled the error, and others have experienced it on v2.x apache - so, something with this problem is apache version agnostic.

My client fears tampering with version dependencies. Notice that their application is on Oracle v8.1x. Nothing about this problem is vendor supported, which is why I'm consulting on this.

If they're right, and this problem only occurs with Firefox, there should be several less invasive solutions.

Please, advise.

If ever I can be of service to you; contact me at once.

I wish for you a truly extraordinary day ...

--
Best Regards,

Mike Schleif
612-235-6060