Yes, if it's an option I'd *strongly* urge you to clone one of the servers
you're needing to upgrade (at least in terms of the Apache) and try the
upgrade there.  If you can clone it as a VM of some sort that would work
even better because you could set everything up, snapshot it, do your work,
and if there's a problem just roll it back.

A lot depends on which modules and how you're using them too.  Upgrades in
my experience have not been *quite* as bad if you're using just standard
Apache modules (like mod_rewrite).  If you're using third-party things that
Apache doesn't support directly, then you could run into issues with
versions there.

But then again, I've only ever done Apache on Solaris/Linux, so YMMV as
they say.