Actually, it would be quite easy to unzip an Apache 2.4 build (or even just
a newer 2.2 build) next to the existing 2.2 install and configure it. Shut
down the existing 2.2 and start up the new 2.4 (or the new 2.2). It might
take a few goes back-n-forth, but if you can afford a little down time this
is the approach I would take.

Cheers,

Colin