Hi Andy.
Process basically include getting/creating a certificate, define it on your site and reload apache. here is a centos manual which is not exactly the same on ubuntu but pretty much explains the order of things
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Https

on ubuntu you will have to open the 443 port
<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
    Listen 443
</IfModule>

once the https is ready, you can do a redirect to the https site from http. (with mod_rewrite)

do you have logs or any information on what is not working?

Oren