Thank you very much, Pete. Your answer was most helpful. I was dumb
because the 'man req 1' page describes the '-subj' parameter in line 81
and in line 154 but the text you sent me is in lines 482++. Similarly
the openssl.cnf file never mentions "-subj" at all. I will read that web
page you listed for me.

Thanks.
- Andy