Files:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root 859 Apr  3 11:45 /etc/apache2/ssl/crt/vhost1.crt

-rw-r--r-- 1 root 916 Apr  3 11:45 /etc/apache2/ssl/key/vhost1.key

So AFAIK I've got a certificate I've generated myself. Nobody vouches
for me but it shoud enable encryption and make my TCP/IP packets hard to
read.

Contents of /etc/apache2/ports.conf:
NameVirtualHost *:80
Listen 80
<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
    Listen 443
</IfModule>
<IfModule mod_gnutls.c>
    Listen 443
</IfModule>

Files:

-rw-r--r-- 1 andy 1439 Apr  3 14:48 /etc/apache2/sites-available/default
-rw-r--r-- 1 andy 7485 Jun 16  2011 /etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl
-rw-r--r-- 1 root 7469 Feb  7  2012
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl.original
-rw-r--r-- 1 root  950 Feb  7  2012
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default.original

I see here that /etc/apache2/sites-available has one symbolic link to
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default, and no symbolic links to any of
the other entries in the sites-available directory. Also all the other
entries in /etc/apache2/sites-available are symbolic links to
configuration files such as

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 21 May  6  2012 /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/opal.conf ->
/www/opal/apache.conf

These links have been working fine for years as links into the site
control directory and not into 'sites-available'. But perhaps that is wrong.

Maybe what I need is a symbolic link from sites-enabled to
../sites-available/default-ssl ? Nope, tested, did not solve the problem....

When I give this command (as root) -

    /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

I see only this output:

apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using 192.168.1.112 for ServerName
 ... waiting apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
qualified domain name, using 192.168.1.112 for ServerName

[ OK ]

But nmap still says that nothing is listening to port 443.

Thank you Oren.