Debian/Ubuntu have a slightly different default layout and include some
tools to help you work with it. The tools just create the symlinks for you,
but the major benefit is that all of them support tab-completion, so you
know what is available.

a2enmod / a2dismod: enable or disable apache modules
a2ensite / a2dissite: enable or disable apache vhosts
a2enconf / a2disconf: enable or disable apache configuration files (added
in Ubuntu 13.10)

The first this to check is that you have loaded mod_ssl, either by running
`a2enmod ssl` or looking at the modules-enabled directory.
You are probably not listening on 443 since it is inside the <ifmodule> and
the module is not loaded.

You should have Ubuntu's default SSL vhost in
sites-available/default-ssl.conf and you can enable it using the tool (or
manual symlink).

You can enable any vhost for SSL by adding a few directives to it (it will
stop listening on non-ssl):
- Change the vritualhost port to 443
- SSLEngine on
- SSLCertificateFile      /etc/apache2/ssl/example.com.crt
- (SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/example.com.key if the key is not
in the same file)

There are a few other default things in the default-ssl vhost to fix buggy
browsers and provide more info to cgi-scripts.

- Y