Someone should also bring to his attention that the web site will have to
comply with the PCIA requirements (all several hundred of them!) if he is
planning on taking credit and debit cards.

This is NOT a trivial undertaking for those small e-commerce businesses
that run their own servers.

Good luck though; it can be done and there is a sense of satisfaction in
getting past all the red tape!

John