On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Bill Vance <p...@xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:

> Just a quick word of thanks to everyone who chimed in.
> John's decided to do a bit of boning up before taking
> the big plunge, so I guess I'm off the hook for now.

      Good to hear!

      FYI, I used to work in a company that wrote the interface
between the point of sale -- card reader, website, whatever -- and the
payment processor (which would then move money between accounts). It
was expected that user would then create the interface -- website,
cash register screen -- and make sure to keep the computer where the
transactions were stored secured. And that worked fine with a lot of
companies (and government institutions) big and small.

Now, some companies would license our software and then create a
website/interface thingie so companies with limited programming skills
could use their system to handle the money part of the sales (for a
fee of course). Paypal offers something similar to what I am talking
about and so does squareup and probably google. That keeps you out of
scope as Rainer was mentioning.

My point is that is pays to contact those companies and check their prices.