I have a bit of a weird problem that I'd like some help tracking down.
I'm pretty sure it's something with Apache.   In my Apache 2.4.25 (cPanel)
config file, I have the ServerAliases disabled.   There's a "catch-all"
entry for unbound IPs, that look like this:

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName myhostname.mydomain.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html
    ServerAdmin myrealem...@someplace.com

    <IfModule suphp_module>
        suPHP_UserGroup nobody nobody
    </IfModule>

</VirtualHost>

Further down, I have a VirtualHost entry for mydomain.com, which has a
DocumentRoot of /home/<myusername>/public_html

I setup a test file,
/home/<myusername>/public_html/.well-known/acme-challenge/test that says
www.mydomain.com-test.

Then I setup another test file,
/var/www/html/.well-known/acme-challenge/test that says
myhostname.mydomain.com-test

I have .htaccess files in /home/<myusername>/public_html that redirect all
traffic to secure ports.   I have cPanel installed and have manually setup
subdomains for the various cPanel stuff.

Anyway, when I run the following command on the remote server:
   curl http://www.mydomain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/test

I see the 301 redirect.   When I run:
   curl https://www.mydomain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/test
I see the:
   www.mydomain.com-test

However, when I run those commands on my local Linux box instead of the
remote server that's running Apache, I see:
  curl http://www.mydomain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/test
  myhostname.mydomain-test

  curl https://www.mydomain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/test
  www.mydomain.com-test

It's not just curl, lynx, the command line web browser, does the same
thing.   On the remote computer that's running Apache, for some reason, I'm
seeing different results than I am when I run the commands on my local
Linux box.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

Sincerely,