Okay.   I've been able to reproduce the results.   I removed the two
ServerAlias www.jetbbs.com entries (one for port 80 and the other for port
443).   To prevent confusion, I'll tell my hostnames.

Eugene: My local machine that I use to surf the internet
Franklin: My VPS that runs Apache.

on Franklin, I run dig www.jetbbs.com, I see:

dig www.jetbbs.com

; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-RedHat-9.9.4-38.el7_3.1 <<>> www.example.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.jetbbs.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.jetbbs.com. 14120 IN A 45.33.78.219

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 96.126.106.5#53(96.126.106.5)
;; WHEN: Sun Feb 05 20:59:22 EST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 59

On Eugene (my local machine), I run dig www.jetbbs.com, I see:
dig www.jetbbs.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.4-P5 <<>> www.jetbbs.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.jetbbs.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.jetbbs.com. 14399 IN A 45.33.78.219

;; Query time: 132 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sun Feb 05 21:01:02 EST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 59

Here's what my /etc/hosts file looks like on Franklin:
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4

::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
2600:3c03::f03c:91ff:fee0:11b4 franklin
45.33.78.219 franklin.jetbbs.com franklin

Here's what my /etc/hosts file looks like on Eugene (my local machine):
# hosts         This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
#               mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
#               used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
#               On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
#               "named" name server.
# Syntax:
# IP-Address  Full-Qualified-Hostname  Short-Hostname
127.0.0.1 localhost
# special IPv6 addresses
::1             localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
fe00::0         ipv6-localnet
ff00::0         ipv6-mcastprefix
ff02::1         ipv6-allnodes
ff02::2         ipv6-allrouters
ff02::3         ipv6-allhosts
192.168.2.5 eugene eugene

I setup two test files that look like this:
/home/<username>/public_html/.well-known/test.html
   www.jetbbs.com and jetbbs.com test

/var/www/html/.well-known/test.html
   franklin.jetbbs.com test

On Franklin, I run curl www.jetbbs.com/.well-known/test.html and see this:
<title>301 Moved Permanently</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Moved Permanently</h1>
https://www.jetbbs.com/.well-known/test.html";>here</a>.</p>

So I run curl https://www.jetbbs.com/.well-known/test.html and see this:
jetbbs.com and www.jetbbs.com test

But on Eugene (my local machine), and everyone elses machine, when I run:
curl www.jetbbs.com/.well-known/test.html, I see:
  franklin.jetbbs.com test

I still don't fully understand why I'm seeing different results based on
whether I run the command on the server running Apache or whether I run it
on another machine.   There's no www.jetbbs.com entry in the hosts file.
Is there some other place that might make it so when I'm logged into
Franklin, when I type www.jetbbs.com, something converts it to the IP
address of my server?   If so, then I understand what's going on, if not,
I'm still confused.