Hello,

  With gcc 4.3.x and apache 2.2.x I could compile apache against a non
system version
of openssl.  If the extra openssl is in /usr/local/ssl/lib  and added to
/etc/ld.so.conf I could
do the following

export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -R/usr/local/ssl/lib"
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include"

./configure --enable-ssl --with-ssl
make

and apache would have the path for the crypt and ssl libs baked into
executable
as from /usr/local/ssl/lib instead of /usr/lib.

With gcc 4.8.x and apache 2.4.x I cannot seem to accomplish the same thing.
The -R flag was replaced with -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/ssl/lib
-L/usr/local/ssl/lib, which
seems to work for other software but not apache 2.4.  Not matter what I've
tried the
httpd binary is always linked against /lib64/libcrypt.so.1 instead of
/usr/local/lib64/libcrypt.so.1

  Any suggestions?  Yes, I'm trying to avoid having to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
before invoking httpd.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Goebel : goe...@emunix.emich.edu : Unix Jockey @ EMU : Hail Eris
Neo-Student, Net Lurker, Donut consumer, and procrastinating medher...