On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 8:26 AM Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > On your client you test from? Edit /etc/hosts and make up whatever
> > > hosts you want.
> > > For other users? Actually setup the hostnames you need to all point to
> > > the same IP.
> > >
> > OK this I've experimented with.
> > If I edit the /etc/hosts file I can add any number of names and they
> > all resolve
> > to localhost (or the machine but they all resolve to the same place).
> > When I change
> > the hostname - - - - the FQDN - - - - well I don't see how there is
> > more than one
> > option for that. So when an application complains that there isn't an
> > 'appropriate'
> > FQDN (or whatever the actual wording in the complaint was) then the hostname
> > or FQDN was 'not' set.
> >
> > So I can set up /etc/hosts like:
> > 192.168.1.2  white
> > 192.168.1.2  yellow
> > 192.168.1.2  green
> > 192.168.1.2  red
> > and I have different hosts. But my FQDN is still 'pink' well that
> > doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > So what could I do to resolve this issue?
> >
> > I cannot use 192.168.1.2 for my FQDN.
> > I do not know how to have more than one FQDN.
> >
> > Do I change my machines FQDN to pink.com and then use the other hosts
> > in /etc/hosts?
> >

> You can make up FQDN's in /etc/hosts the same way and they'll also
> resolve for your clients and be matchable by name-based virtual hosts.
>
> The machines notion of its own single FQDN is not relevant to 99% of
> httpd configurations.  It's only relevant if you omit the ServerName
> directive and the server has to guess.

 I think I understand but - - - - - read the man page for hostname where it
states:
The recommended method of setting the FQDN is to make the hostname be
an alias for the fully qualified name using /etc/hosts, DNS, or NIS.
For example,
if the hostname was "ursula", one might have a line in /etc/hosts which reads

              127.0.1.1    ursula.example.com ursula

so what I could do is, using my previous information, set the FQDN to be
pink.com so that /etc/hosts would include:
              192.168.1.2    pink.com     pink
              192.168.1.2    pink.com     red
              192.168.1.2    pink.com     green       etc
and then I could use vhosting so that to the applications that they
are hosted on:
              192.168.1.2    pink.com    red         applicationa
              192.168.1.2    pink.com    green     applicationb         etc

Would that be an 'acceptable way of doing this?

TIA