On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 8:27 PM Richard
<lists-apa...@listmail.innovate.net> wrote:

> > Date: Monday, January 27, 2020 16:51:44 -0600
> > From: o1bigtenor <o1bigte...@gmail.com>

> >> I think you may be confusing "virtual machines" and "(apache)
> >> virtual hosts". A virtual machine (VM) is indeed a whole "stack"
> >> (as you are referring to things). A[n apache] virtual host
> >> environment is simply configuring an instance of apache to serve
> >> content (more or less) as if it's on different VMs. This will
> >> allow you to use different document roots for each content set as
> >> well as serve out on different ports and/or hostnames from a
> >> single machine.
> >>
> >> In general I try to avoid serving content on non-standard
> >> http/https ports as it tends to be confusing to users. Using
> >> different hostnames and/or IPnumbers is cleaner and causes fewer
> >> headaches.
> >>
> > It may have not been clear but I was asking as to whether I should
> > be using virtual hosts or something else (maybe different port
> > numbers).
> >
> > Different hostnames - - - - how do I have that on one physical
> > machine?
> >
> > Are you recommending using subdomains? (I think that's what its
> > called!?!)
> >

> If you're trying to serve your content via http, which appears to be
> your goal, then to serve it out on different ports - without using
> the apache virtual host configuration - you'd need to have multiple
> instances of apache running. That's possible, but very ugly.

OK - - - - Mr Richard suggests that I use different ports but further offers
that using different hostnames offers a 'cleaner' solution. If I'm
understanding
this all correctly meaning using vhosts and multiple hostnames.

You're suggesting just use different ports.

> You may want to read the apache virtual host documentation:
>
>   <https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/>

I had read that page quite a few times before - - - in the tradition of
excellent LInux documentation that page is a wonderful example. All
information needful to a skilled practitioner is included but for one who
isn't highly skilled there are little to no examples and definitely no
context. That means that one who is working through things for a first
time  - - - - - well the information isn't terribly helpful.

> Any number of hostnames (unique or sub-domains) can resolve to the
> same ipnumber, the responding software simply needs to know how to
> handle things, assuming that different responses are necessary. Look
> at the "name-based virtual host" information in the vhosts
> documentation. [A machine can also have multiple ipnumbers assigned
> to it.]

I understand that multiple ips can be assigned to a machine - - - - my server,
but not my server test box, actually has 4 nics available.

So I'm coming back to my previous question - - - - how do I set up different
FQDNs (hostnames) on 'one' machine?

Please? TIA