hi Tom,

I simply use (or dynamically construct) a page with iframes, in which each iframe gets loaded by a separate CGI results; this is the async way. You can trigger the loading of certain iframes when user clicks on some button in the main part of the page, then a Javascript function is called by that button to re-load the contents of some iframe by a corresponding CGI.
No AJAX needed, but plain HTML + Javascript.

cheers
Rob

Quoting "Scott A. Wozny" <sawo...@hotmail.com>:

Sounds like a job for AJAX, but before throwing out the baby with the bath water I'd seriously consider turning up logging with timestamps on your existing CGI and seeing if SSI is a loser in its entirety or if it's one specific part of the process that is tanking your page load times that you can easily fix (you don't say much about that data store, but if you've crossed a tipping in regards to size or number of records, you may need to reconsider your data storage strategy).

Also, if you've got really old / dumb clients AJAX might not be a great answer whereas SSI is always entirely under your control.

  Best of luck,

  Scott

    FROM: Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com>
SENT: October 3, 2020 2:08 PM