Hi David
(as an aside, could you subscribe to the dev list, so that I don't need to
approve any mails from you for that list).

Thanks for the analysis below; responses within....

On 7 September 2013 10:55, David Tildesley <davo...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> In my opinion, web UI's for internal applications were a big step
> backwards for enterprises - clumsy for users and expensive to build (at
> least before ISIS came along) compared to rich clients. I guess web
> technology has advanced to a point where it has almost caught up with rich
> client technology of 15 years ago but that's hardly something to crow
> about. The argument put forward for web UI's in the enterprise was "zero
> maintenance" in terms of the desktop (all the difficulties of packaging and
> distribution of rich clients eliminated) but then rich clients caught up in
> that area (at least for Java). But then comes along smart phones and
> tablets and html5 that potentially changes the game again. Or maybe not -
> html5 turns out to not be the panacea it was touted to be and now we are
> back to the future with the horrible incompatibilities of vendors
> implementations and versions. Facebook recently publicly vented on this
> subject and have declared the end of
>  their romp with html5 and a return to native.

Yup, I'd agree with all of that.

> With ISIS able to generate many viewers, then perhaps we are looking at
> the real game changer in the enterprise being ISIS.

Ooh, please keep saying that!  (Still hoping for one of the opinion formers
of the tech community - the Martin Fowlers etc - to rediscover NO via Isis
and take a similar view).

> The DnD viewer I understood was a highly productive desktop UI for DSW? of
> Ireland.

s/was/is/

It's likely to be in production for many years to come.  But the
client/server architecture - with serialized .NET objects over web services
- leaves something to be desired; state management/synchronisation being
especially difficult.  I was very glad when we junked the remoting logic in
Isis a while back.

> Should it not live on in the form of a JFX based viewer?

It could, of course; but I guess it limits the deployment options.  If we
can achieve the same technology using web UI, then why limit the audience.

But "fat client" RO clients are possible; over in Ireland we have been
spiking a Win8 metro UI that's an RO client.

> [snip]
>
> The wicket viewer is good. However, bouncing around different objects to
> get a view of information in a "graph" can be frustrating even with the
> sliding bookmark bar when you want to go back a few steps but I guess less
> frustrating than one of those damn wizards that forces you along a
> particular process.

Agreed.

> Sometimes (maybe often) it is preferable to present an aggregated view of
> information in the UI from an object graph instance. One could achieve this
> with a custom UI (e.g. calling the ISIS domain RO viewer) however I'm
> thinking why not simply use a (transient) ISIS object instead and treat it
> as a UI model component which from my point of view simply amounts to
> making it transient and putting it in a package that indicates that it is
> not part of the domain layer and ensure that this "UI" object has a
> dependency on the domain layer but never the other way around ( no dom
> object should depend on the UI). To give you an example: Say I have a Human
> Resource domain (with
> Person--->Employment--->PositionAssigment--->Position--->OrgUnit--->Organisation)
> but I want to implement an easy to enterprise resource directory so that
> users could quickly search for people in the organisation and once found
> display all the relevant and permitted information about the
>  person on a single page so that the user doesn't have to bounce around
> the dom graph to get this information. So I have a StaffDetails aggregating
> object in the UI that dynamically aggregates the relevant information from
> the dom object graph by calling dom behaviour. Similarly I might want to
> implement a MyDetails UI object for the same reason. Does that make sense?
> To me, taking this approach makes the wicket viewer a lot more acceptable
> to users.
>
> It does make sense.  In fact, the .NET version of Naked Objects they have
implemented addressable view models, which are non-persistent but act as if
they are persistent. This originated from a code sketch I did in the RO
spec.  I don't think it'd be that hard to implement in Isis, either.

Then, in the Wicket viewer, one could register a custom ComponentFactory to
render the view model as required (using the lower-level components to
build up the pieces of the UI).

Not really a difficult piece of work (though not a priority for me right
now).  I could provide guidance to someone in your team if it's something
you'd like to explore further.

Cheers
Dan