Comments inline:

On 28/01/2014 22:36, "Michael Brunnbauer" <bru...@netestate.de> wrote:

>Hello Rob,
>
>On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 02:20:22PM -0800, Rob Vesse wrote:
>> The 2.11.0 release was only last week so do not expect another official
>> release for a while.
>
>OK
>
>> The somewhat toy query in your bug seems to imply that you have some set
>> of SPARQL smoke tests or similar that you use.
>
>It's a complete minimal example. I have an application that broke due to
>this
>one when I upgraded to 1.0.1.

Really, that is actually a real application query.  That seems like an odd
query to use in the real world although I guess the intention is that it
guarantees you one possibly empty row?

Note that we publicise on the developer list (d...@jena.apache.org) when we
are about to do a release and specifically request users beyond just the
committers test the release candidates before we go ahead and make the
release -
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jena-dev/201401.mbox/%3c52DAF10E.7
050...@apache.org%3e
If developers who rely heavily on Jena are not subscribed to that list and
do not take the time to test release candidates in advance and tell us if
they break things for them we don't find out about these things until
after the release is done.

As I said in a previous email while we try to provide as many tests as we
can think of (Jena as a whole has ~31K at the moment) once the code is out
in the wild users do things with it that we don't expect or have
queries/data that exposes corner cases we haven't covered.  If you have a
set of mission critical queries then contributing those as test cases
would be most appreciated and reduces the risks that we unintentionally
introduce regressions in the future.

>BTW: We are not able to implement a feature for the same application
>because
>of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-494

Contributions are always welcome, you are free to go look at the code and
provide a fix yourselves.  Everyone is volunteers here and a side effect
of that is that people tend to focus their energy on things that matter to
them.

Rob