Hello Rob,

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:12:04AM -0800, Rob Vesse wrote:
> >It's a complete minimal example. I have an application that broke due to
> >this
> >one when I upgraded to 1.0.1.
>
> Really, that is actually a real application query.

No - a complete minimal example. This is one of the real queries:

PREFIX dcterms: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/>
PREFIX lio: <http://purl.org/net/lio#>
select ?img (SAMPLE(?x) as ?xs) ?p (SAMPLE(?xtype) as ?xtypes) where {
{ graph ?s {
 { ?x ?p <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Graph_(mathematics)>.?img a lio:Image. }
 UNION
 { ?x1 a <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Graph_(mathematics)>. ?x ?p ?x1.?img a
lio:Image. }
OPTIONAL { ?x a ?xtype }}}
UNION
{
 ?d1 <http://dbpedia.org/ontology/isPartOf>
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Graph_(mathematics)>
 FILTER isIRI(?d1)
 FILTER regex(str(?d1),"http://dbpedia.org/resource/";)
 graph ?s { { ?x ?p ?d1 } UNION { ?x1 a ?d1. ?x ?p ?x1 } }
 graph ?s { ?img a lio:Image. }
 OPTIONAL { graph ?s { ?x a ?xtype } }
}
UNION {
 SERVICE <http://127.0.0.1:3030/datasets/query> { ?d1 rdfs:subClassOf+
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Graph_(mathematics)>. }
 graph ?s { { ?x ?p ?d1 } UNION { ?x1 a ?d1. ?x ?p ?x1 } }
 graph ?s { ?img a lio:Image. }
 OPTIONAL { graph ?s { ?x a ?xtype } }
}
FILTER(?p != <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>)
FILTER(?p != <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#sameAs>)
FILTER(?p != lio:hasVisualPart )
} group by ?img ?p
if(strstarts(str(?x),"http://www.imagesnippets.com/imgtag/images/";) &&
contains(str(?x),"#Region"),"region",?x)

The first and the second or third outer UNION - together with the FILTERs at
the bottom seem to cause the error.

Can I skip the time consuming step of producing a minimal example next time?
It took me maybe an hour.

> If developers who rely heavily on Jena are not subscribed to that list and
> do not take the time to test release candidates in advance and tell us if
> they break things for them we don't find out about these things until
> after the release is done.

That's OK for me.

How about this one ? http://www.brunni.de/pdp1/

> queries/data that exposes corner cases we haven't covered.  If you have a
> set of mission critical queries then contributing those as test cases
> would be most appreciated and reduces the risks that we unintentionally
> introduce regressions in the future.

Why not use the minimal example as new test case ?

> >BTW: We are not able to implement a feature for the same application
> >because
> >of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-494
>
> Contributions are always welcome, you are free to go look at the code and
> provide a fix yourselves.

Yes. I am free to learn SPARQL Algebra, the inner workings and optimizations
of it in Jena, to get more familiar with Java and Java IDEs and then to fix
the things you guys overlooked. I'd prefer not to and to stay in Jena quality
management.

However, I could

1) pay my employee more familiar with Java to look into this and submit a fix
2) do a donation
3) put a bounty on it

What would you prefer ?

Regards,