Hi Phil,

As Adam says we are using Apache Jena at the UK National Archives to power
the catalogue of our digitial repository. The set up we use has Jena TDB as
the triplestore and Jena Fuseki as the front end for reading and writing
data over HTTP. We also use other components of the Jena project as needed,
such as the Java RDF and ARQ APIs for creating the graphs and queries which
are posted to Fuseki. We also use the Elda Linked Data API (
https://github.com/epimorphics/elda) implentation which provides a nice
out-of-the-box means of viewing and querying the contents of the triple
store without the need for users to understand SPARQL and RDF.

Although it delivers all of our immediate needs I don't think we have
really begun to make use of the power of this technology yet. This will
come when we start to use Natural Language Processing to extract richer
metadata and combine this with entity recognition and inference to extract
new facts and connections. Ideally the data would also be opened to the
Linked Data Cloud enabling us to make connections to other archives and
authoritative organisations and to allow others to make their own
connections to us.

I wrote a conference paper on all of this a couple of years ago which you
can read here -
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/information-management/xml-london-tna-rw.pdf
-
it is a little outdated but the key facts are unchanged.

HTH
Rob

Rob Walpole
Email robkwalp...@gmail.com