On 05/20/16 03:57, Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2016-05-19 at 12:23 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>I haven't been able to make any sense out of the wireshark data yet
>but this morning I tried again from gnome instead of xfce, the problem
>remains the same, however trying to send a test message from Balsa
>produced an error:
> >"Balsa Relaying refused 550: Relaying Refused
>          Message left in your Outbox."
> >Which once more makes me wonder if it is something my ISP is doing
>that causes the no-connect problem?
When you sent your test message, was the "from" and/or "to" addresses
real ones that work on the public internet?  Most mail servers do a
basic test, and won't let you send from an address that couldn't be
replied to.
.
I sent test messages to my usual e-mail address, e.g. bobgood...@wildblue.net or my working gmail address, both entered via the balsa "compose" and/or set-up GUI. However this leaves me wondering about what my ISP is actually getting. Perhaps there is something in the configuration that I am missing and what is being sent is not what I expect.

I'm not sure of how to check this but I think that next I will look at the configuration files more closely.

Thanks for the explanation,

Bob

e.g. If I send a test mail from <tim@localhost>, it's going to reject
that.  But if I send it from<t...@example.com>, it will allow it.  I
don't own example.com, but it passes the basic "is it most-likely real"
address test, simply because "example.com" exists.

Relaying is about handing over the mail to another server (unless your
message is to someone that exists on that server, it has to be passed
out to external servers), and that test is a very basic anti-spam
technique.  Though, one that's fooled by faking up realistic from
addresses, as we've all seen in the spam that we get.

You get a related, but different error message, if you try to send an
email to yourself but using an internal email address that only you know
about (e.g. using your internal LAN domain name, one without a public
domain).  It'll fail because*it*  can't relay a message to a server that
it doesn't know about.

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-23/64bit LINUX XFCE POP3