On 05/20/16 13:15, Tim wrote:
---------------
I've just installed Balsa, on my out-of-date system, to have a play, and
got it working within a couple of minutes of fiddling.  I had to
manually create a /var/spool/mail/timtesting file to make it happy, as
root, then chown tim:mail /var/spool/mail/timtesting.  I could have let
it use my existing spool file, but I didn't want *it* messing up
anything that my normal mail clients were using.

If things have not changed too much between it and what you're using.
Open the preferences, and look at the mail options section.  In mine,
you have a Mail Options heading, and two sub-headings for Incoming and
Outgoing.  The Mail Options heading, itself, brings up the choices for
setting up server parameters.  The sub-headings are choices for how it
deals with ingoing and outgoing mail, within itself.

In the Mail Options settings panel, the top half concerns where you get
your mail from (POP or IMAP), where you enter a descriptive name for
your mailbox (if you had several, this lets you tell them apart in a
non-technical way), the actual mail server address, your login name and
password, and some other options.

e.g.  Descriptive name:  work mail
       Server:  pop3.example.com
       Username:  tim
       Password:  gobbledegook

The middle bit is to do where it stores mail on your computer.

e.g.  /home/tim/balsamailtest

The bottom half is where you set up the sending servers (SMTP).  Again,
you get to give the configurations a name for your own purposes, the
server address (with a colon between address and the port number), the
login name and password, and some other options.
yes, and the GUI never allows me to set the server address there [smtp.wildblue.net]. I can set it in config-private with a text editor though and that seems to make outgoing work.
e.g.  Descriptive name:  all mail
       Server:  smtp.example.com:25
       Username:  tim
       Password:  gobbledegook

I hadn't tested whether it needed :25 after the server address, it just
started out that way, with localhost:25, and I followed the example.
But I've just tried it, and it doesn't need it.  Most mail clients
presume normal port numbers, unless told to do something different.
SMTP is normally on port 25, POP3 is normally on port 110, and IMAP is
normally on port 143 (have a look through /etc/services for lots of
other common port assignments).

This didn't seem, to me, any harder to set up than any other mail
client.  Is your version similar to that?

.

I completely removed every vestige of balsa I could find and re-installed anew with dnf install balsa. No improvement resulted but I know there's nothing corrupted from my earlier efforts ...

Perhaps I should install from whatever source you used, I don't care if it's in French, just want to see this work.

I have changed "localhost:25" to the proper server address [smtp.wildblue.net] each time as part of my normal setup procedure, do you think it may want localhost? Strange ... No I tried that and it tells me it can't reach my connection. Normally the port numbers required are 995 and 465.

So I tried mail.wildblue.net:995 fir the incoming server address, still get ERR: Invalid Command when I "check" incoming mail.

Since my troubleshooting skills are not sufficient it seems installing from something other than dnf might be worth a try.

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD