On 05/20/16 10:41, Tim wrote:
Perhaps there is
>something in the configuration that I am missing and what is being
>sent is not what I expect.
Okay, after looking back through the thread, is wildblue.net different
from your ISP?  They may require you to authenticate with them as one of
their users.  That can throw up a relaying not allowed error message,
too.  In this case, it's not based upon the address, but based upon only
allowing their customers to send through them.

Some ISPs do that by getting you to check for new mail (where you're
providing username and password, as part of the normal POP or IMAP mail
fetching procedure) before trying to send mail.  Others require you to
send username and password to log into their SMTP server to send mail
(your username may be just your username with the ISP, or it may be your
whole email address with that ISP).  And there's different ways that you
can send that information (e.g. unencrypted or encrypted).

Carefully look through your settings that you used on your other mail
client, that worked, to send mail with that address.

                             ------------
After adding my username via gedit on the bottom line of "config-private" below, sending a message from balsa compose requested a password and the message is received by Thunderbird. I then checked remember password too.

[bobg@Box10 .balsa]$ cat config-private
[mailbox-1]
Username=bobgood...@wildblue.net
Password=encrypted gibberish

[smtp-server-Default]
Username=bobgood...@wildblue.net

However I have not been able to find where this information [username/password in config file] is entered for incoming mail. Nothing I have tried with the setup GUI has helped.

And once anything had been entered it seems I have to rm -fr everything in .balsa. right now it is attempting to download new messages every minute and failing and producing an error message. Removing that requirement via the GUI is not sufficient.

Well I can make it send, that's a little progress ...

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD