On Fri, 2016-05-20 at 12:15 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> After adding my username via gedit on the bottom line of
> "config-private" below, sending a message from balsa compose requested
> a password and the message is received by Thunderbird. I then checked
> remember password too.
>
> [bobg@Box10 .balsa]$ cat config-private
> [mailbox-1]
> Username=bobgood...@wildblue.net
> Password=encrypted gibberish
>
> [smtp-server-Default]
> Username=bobgood...@wildblue.net

I hope that you fully exited the program before hand-editing any config
files.  Not doing so can lead to all sorts of shenanigans (such as
programs not seeing your changes, and programs writing back their cached
settings to the config file as they exit).

It's been years since I've tried balsa, and the screenshots I found of
it were in French, but most mail clients are somewhat similar to
configure.  Usually, you can manage to work out one if you can manage to
work out another.  Snares often come up when encryption is used, there's
a variety of techniques, and both sides need to agree with an encryption
type, protocols, and the ports used.  Some, however, do not give you any
entry box to enter a password in their config.  They'll pop-up a
separate requester when you try to fetch your mail, and that's where
you'd enter and store it.

You are using the right incoming protocol (POP or IMAP), whichever your
mail service provider offers?

            ---------------

I've just installed Balsa, on my out-of-date system, to have a play, and
got it working within a couple of minutes of fiddling.  I had to
manually create a /var/spool/mail/timtesting file to make it happy, as
root, then chown tim:mail /var/spool/mail/timtesting.  I could have let
it use my existing spool file, but I didn't want *it* messing up
anything that my normal mail clients were using.

If things have not changed too much between it and what you're using.
Open the preferences, and look at the mail options section.  In mine,
you have a Mail Options heading, and two sub-headings for Incoming and
Outgoing.  The Mail Options heading, itself, brings up the choices for
setting up server parameters.  The sub-headings are choices for how it
deals with ingoing and outgoing mail, within itself.

In the Mail Options settings panel, the top half concerns where you get
your mail from (POP or IMAP), where you enter a descriptive name for
your mailbox (if you had several, this lets you tell them apart in a
non-technical way), the actual mail server address, your login name and
password, and some other options.

e.g.  Descriptive name:  work mail
      Server:  pop3.example.com
      Username:  tim
      Password:  gobbledegook

The middle bit is to do where it stores mail on your computer.

e.g.  /home/tim/balsamailtest

The bottom half is where you set up the sending servers (SMTP).  Again,
you get to give the configurations a name for your own purposes, the
server address (with a colon between address and the port number), the
login name and password, and some other options.

e.g.  Descriptive name:  all mail
      Server:  smtp.example.com:25
      Username:  tim
      Password:  gobbledegook

I hadn't tested whether it needed :25 after the server address, it just
started out that way, with localhost:25, and I followed the example.
But I've just tried it, and it doesn't need it.  Most mail clients
presume normal port numbers, unless told to do something different.
SMTP is normally on port 25, POP3 is normally on port 110, and IMAP is
normally on port 143 (have a look through /etc/services for lots of
other common port assignments).

This didn't seem, to me, any harder to set up than any other mail
client.  Is your version similar to that?

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.