Tom Horsley wrote:

>> I would have hoped that someone who can play with systemd
>> in a sensible way might be able to suggest a solution.

> But for a (possibly) useful suggesting, you might try
> my technique for working around utter failures in systemd
> (which always seem to have something to do with networked
> services).
>
> I make sure /etc/rc.d/rc.local is set to executable and
> add lines like this to the end:
>
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 5 ; systemctl restart ypbind.service' > /dev/null 2>&1
> < /dev/null &
>
> That starts one of the many services that normally fails
> after a 5 second delay following boot. I have a whole list
> of this with increasing delay times.

Thanks for the suggestion, which I shall try out later.
For the moment, I've installed Thunderbird,
and am sending email through Tbird and reading email through KMail.

I needed a quick replacement, and forgot gmail
which also solved the problem.

For the umteenth time, I'm wondering if it is time
to give up KMail ...

> --
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin