Samuel Sieb wrote:

>> When I try to send email I get the warning "Failed to transmit message",
>> and journalctl has the entry
>> "sendmail.service: PID file /run/sendmail.pid not readable (yet?)
>>   after start:  No such file or directory".

> My first suggestion is to run postfix instead. :-)

Thanks for the response.
Can I avoid using sendmail for outgoing mail on KMail in that way?

> Assuming that is not acceptable, what does "systemctl status sendmail"
> show?

I just tried this again, and I get much the same error message:
-------------------------------
[tim@william ~]$ sudo systemctl status sendmail
  sendmail.service - Sendmail Mail Transport Agent
May 25 18:37:18 william.gayleard.com systemd[1]:
  Starting Sendmail Mail Transport Agent...
May 25 18:37:18 william.gayleard.com sendmail[4789]:
  starting daemon (8.15.2): SMTP+queueing@01:00:00
May 25 18:37:18 william.gayleard.com systemd[1]: sendmail.service:
  PID file /run/sendmail.pid not readable (yet?) after start:
  No such file or directory
May 25 18:37:18 william.gayleard.com systemd[1]:
  Started Sendmail Mail Transport Agent.

[tim@william ~]$ sudo cat /run/sendmail.pid
4789
/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q1h
-------------------------------

> Open a couple of terminal windows, run "tail
> -f/var/log/audit/audit.log" in one and "journalctl -f --all" in the
> other.  Then try "systemctl restart sendmail" and see what output you
> get from that and what shows up in those other terminal windows.

I tried this; there was a large amount of output,
but the only thing that struck me was the same journalctl message again:
  sendmail.service: PID file /run/sendmail.pid not readable (yet?)
    after start: No such file or directory
and the following, repeated several times
  May 25 23:14:52 william.gayleard.com ksmserver[1395]:
    QXcbWindow: Unhandled client message: "_NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP"

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net