> The header looks fine and there should be 33KB of content. When you

yes.  In "View source", I see 759 lines of stuff.  But most looks like
"meta-data", not message body that I would expect to see in the Thunderbird
window.  The first blank line is line 65, so the header is 64 lines long.

I don't know if this helps, but when messages that look blank in the
Thunderbird window are downloading, the following error message shows just
below the Gnome black bar at the top of the screen (in which the current
date-time is displayed):
======
Thunderbird
The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account
[my e-mail address] responded: [UNAVAILABLE] UID FETCH Server error while
fetching messages.
======
This error message shows up multiple times per empty-looking e-mail message.
Each failed download takes over a minute.