On 03/14/2018 07:38 PM, William Mattison wrote:
I saved that [etc.]

That does work.

Good, so that means that Thunderbird does eventually get the whole intact message and can read it.

... Try closing ...

cough  gag  cough  cough  choke  gag  cough

On March 06, I started a thread titled "Thunderbird issue (OT).".  I never saw
any replies.  The problem remains completely unsolved.  Actually, it's now worse!  I've
experienced that problem a few times today.  So what you suggest has already been tried.
... a few times.  ...even with a full power-down re-boot between 2 of the tries.  It did
not work.  It can take quite a few tries (almost half an hour!) before I finally get a
successful sign-in.

What I was suggesting was just to reopen Thunderbird and see if the message that you have already downloaded can be viewed. Maybe put Thunderbird in offline mode before restarting it.

I suspect that something to do with the download problems is causing the blank
message.

I don't fully understand.  I viewed and saved the source, then we both
successfully loaded that source back into Thunderbird and saw the message
properly displayed.  So the message source was downloaded without corruption.
I agree with you in suspecting a connection between the download error messages
and the blank-looking display.  But what would be that connection?  Is there
anything I can do to fix it?

I don't know. I'm just suspecting that something in Thunderbird is getting confused with all the errors, maybe an index file or something like that. I found some information that should help you debug the connection problems. The following assumes that you have successfully connected and are just having trouble authenticating or downloading email. I'm also assuming you are using IMAP. If it's POP3, then substitute "POP3" for "IMAP" in the following instructions.

In a terminal enter "export MOZ_LOG_FILE=/path/to/logfile", then "export MOZ_LOG=IMAP:5,timestamp". Then run "thunderbird". When you run into the problem, close thunderbird and check the logfile. If there is any actual authentication info or other private info in it, edit it to remove that. Then upload the log somewhere.