On 03/15/2018 08:51 AM, William Mattison wrote:
What I was suggesting...

KSysGuard shows that yahoo feeds data to Thunderbird in very teeny chunks.  A
message with an attached photo took about an hour to download yesterday.  I
also access my e-mail from multiple workstation accounts and operating systems.
 So some time ago, I set all my e-mail accounts to
*** not ***
keep messages on my workstation.  That is, "Message Synchronizing": "Keep messages
for this account on this computer" is unchecked.  So messages have to be re-downloaded after
every Thunderbird launch and account sign-in.

You're using IMAP, so why would you use this setting? Are you saying that you're using shared accounts and workstations?

bash.10[thunderbird]: thunderbird &
(I assume putting it in the background makes no difference in the logging.)
I tried it a few times.  I saw the same misbehavior as yesterday, but the log file
remained empty.  I also tried it without the ampersand.  The log file is empty.  There
are no subdirectories or other files in "/[myhome]/thunderbird/".

I'll give it a try later.