I held off on trying what you said because I'm missing some of the info I need
to try it.  I did successfully delete the the HP printer from cups using the
command you gave me.

I have about 1140 HP ppd files!  The question is which one is the best one
(there is no perfect match).  I did a separate post on this question several
minutes ago.

For the second "lpadmin" command,
1. How do I get the correct string to substitute for your "hplj-pro-m201"?
2. How do I get the thing to substitute for your
"socket://192.168.1.machineipaddress:9100"  Note that the connection to the
printer is a USB cable going from the back of my home workstation's tower to
the back of the printer.  There's no network, and I'm not using wireless.