On 05/09/2018 10:28 PM, home user via users wrote:
I held off on trying what you said because I'm missing some of the info I need
to try it.  I did successfully delete the the HP printer from cups using the
command you gave me.

I have about 1140 HP ppd files!  The question is which one is the best one
(there is no perfect match).  I did a separate post on this question several
minutes ago.

For the second "lpadmin" command,
1. How do I get the correct string to substitute for your "hplj-pro-m201"?
2. How do I get the thing to substitute for your
"socket://192.168.1.machineipaddress:9100"  Note that the connection to the
printer is a USB cable going from the back of my home workstation's tower to the back of
the printer.  There's no network, and I'm not using wireless.
I think you're referring to the first mention of the printer in the line I sent. If that's the case, you could call it what you want to call it--hplj-color-printer--should be OK. I think, but am not certain, that this is the description that will appear when you tell your system to print. I did not create this monster, I was taught it by someone who is smarter than me.

Again, I am not sure that your hard-wire connection would reject the command I suggested. I do think you should set a hard static IP for the printer, and I don't think it would be rejected by using the static IP--I don't use wireless on my printers either, they all go thru a router. It shouldn't be any different if you bypass the router and connect directly. Also, it should be part of the setup of the printer by itself to set a static ip. It is with both my HP and my Epson. (I once had three printers going thru the router, each one with its own static ip. Worked perfectly.) The machine address is therefore (in this instance) 192.168.1.29. So the line reads: "socket://192.168.1.29:9100" without the quote marks. Your ip will probably not be 29, but it could be, if
nothing else in your shack uses that ip.

(I have a number of computers, as well as two printers, at present, and it drives me crazy that dynamic ip assignment by the router uses the same address for more than one device!)

Good luck--doug