That's a good point which I hadn't thought of. I actually only have a
single monitor connected via an HMDI switch to both video outputs. I've
been so used to this I forgot to mention it, but clearly I have to
figure out how to run my desktop off the Nvidia card (I don't mind
losing the IGP so multimonitor isn't important). Do you know if it's
possible to blacklist the IGP? That might be the simplest solution.

You could try blacklisting the Intel one. You would need to check which module it is, but probably "i915". Or check in your BIOS, you might be able to set the other card as primary.