Hi,

Tom Horsley wrote:
> I have a nice modern LG WH16NS40 Blu-ray rewriter [...]
> trying to rip a DVD [...]
> openat(AT_FDCWD, "/dev/sr0", O_RDONLY  <-- never finishes till I unplug it

That's not usual. I have a BH16NS40 in a USB box from DeLOCK. No problems
to open it with any medium.

In general it is strange that open(2) or openat(2) make a difference
between BD and DVD media. At that time the computer has no clue what's
in the drive.
It might be about using option O_NDELAY. In libburn's source code i have
this comment from 2007:
  Switched to O_NDELAY for LKML statement 2007/4/11/141 by Alan Cox:
  "open() has side effects. The CD layer allows you to open
  with O_NDELAY if you want to avoid them."
(IIRC it was about accessing a drive that is busy with burning and
 takes offense already from open(2).)

What program do you use for ripping ?

If not yet dd, what do you get from this:

  image_file=...path.where.to.store.data...

  dd if=/dev/sr0 bs=1M of="$image_file"

or

  dd if=/dev/sr0 bs=1M iflag=nonblock of="$image_file"

What would a burn program say about the DVD ?
E.g. one of these runs:

  dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0

  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -toc

Have a nice day :)