Hi,

Tom Horsley wrote:
> My current theory is that it has something to do with
> the phase II region protection (which is supposed to be hardware
> rather than software)

That would be plausible.

But letting the drive hang on open with the need for power-off seems
to be a drastic reaction.

> It doesn't really matter what program I use, everything
> hangs as soon as it tries to do the first open.

Even dvd+rw-mediainfo and xorriso ?

I would be interested to see the very verbous output of

  xorriso -scsi_log on -outdev /dev/sr0 -toc 2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/xorriso.log

It will be quite short if already open(2) fails. But in case of region
resctrictions, i'd expect it to refuse on the first READ command.
Maybe the SCSI error codes can tell when it bails out and whether it
becomes incommunicado then.

If /tmp/xorriso.log is long (one or two dozen KB) then send it to
my mail address directly. I will then report what it tells me.
If it is short, please post it here.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas