On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 11:48:30 -0300
George N. White III wrote:

> The bug may only appear for certain combinations of drive and USB
> chipset.   Check for firmware updates for the drive.

Yep. I'm thinking it has something to do with the chipset.
I believe I did read about some usb problem some chips
have (but it was a while back and I don't remember where
I saw it). This is a GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Ultra in the
machine I'm trying to use. The drive is brand new
and came with the latest firmware (though lots of people
go to a lot of trouble to install old firmware in this
drive to get UHD Blu-ray ripping to work :-).

Anyway, all I need to do is remember to use the little
pioneer drive when I want to rip a dvd and I'm OK. I guess
there are some things man is not meant to understand.