On 2/11/22 13:15, fed...@cwm030.com wrote:
Hi Ya'll, > > I know that there are, to me, seems like A LOT of email clients
for > the linux world. > > And It's getting harder and harder for me to hop around and try new > email clients out when they come out being a..........GET READY TO > CRINGE..... POP3 user. > > Last week I tried TDE ( Trinity Desktop ) on Debian. and decided to > give KMAIL a try... Big mistake... Importing my email into KMAIL > caused the emails names to be changed from numbers ( because I used > Claws before) to this weird string of letters and numbers. Therefore, > I could not import my email back to CLAWS since I gave up and > returned to Fedora and Gnome 3. > > I plan on staying with Fedora and Gnome 3. > > I thought about making the change to IMAP, but old habits die hard. I > find myself when I set up or try a new email client, I wind up > setting it up as POP3... > > So I am just curious if there is any POP users still out there > > And what are some pros and cons switching to IMAP? > > And what program do you use on Fedora for your email? Chris, as one of the contributors to IMAP, it still took me years to make the jump and I am glad I did.

IMAP is just more functional than POP ever was with better security features; though Peter Resnick of Qualcomm would regal us with stories of maintaining Eudora for their CEO for years after there were other better choices, but he started on Eudora, and it was Qualcomm's product and he was going to keep using it...  Worked for me!

I switched all those years ago from Eudora to Thunderbird, still POP.  There was a nice utility to convert Eudora mail folders to that used by Thunderbird.  In fact just last year an old friend was FINALLY getting of Eudora and asked if anyone knew how, so I dug the program out of my archives for him.

Over all these years I have been using Thunderbird with all its warts.  But then really they all have warts.

Oh and just updated my wife from Thunderbird on XP to Thunderbird on Win10, and she is complaining on how things are different...