Curt Hagenlocher wrote:
On 10/17/07, *Paolo Molaro* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    As python extensions use a C API, I don't see how Managed C++
    would provide source compatibility. Managed C++ would be an
    ill-advided
    method, IMHO.
    [...]
    You'd have two components: the C API headers and some C code (this is
    required in any case) is the first. Then you need an assembly that
    translates from the C API to the IronPython model. You can write this
    in nice C# + a few dllimports or with the ugly managed C++ (assuming
    managed C++ can actually consume the python headers).

MC++ lets you create a single module that contains both "normal" machine code and MSIL, and takes care of the transitions between the two. There's no reason you can't compile the existing C code and link it directly with the MC++ wrapper -- which is exactly what I originally meant.

Curt - how does MC++ relate to using P/Invoke? That is, is it P/Invoke plus some clever packaging stuff to allow you to produce a single assembly with both machine code and MSIL, or is there more to it than that? Or is it something completely different?

Regards,

Giles

--
Giles Thomas
MD & CTO, Resolver Systems Ltd.

We're hiring! http://www.resolversystems.com/jobs/
17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79 Registered in England and Wales as company number 5467329.
Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK