Forgive my non-C-ness (it's been a long time since I wrote a native
module for Python), but aren't you now buying into a major
re-implementation of all the native Python standard library into C#?

Assuming for a moment that few sane people will want to re-compile them
from source, it seems much easier to just use the current C++/CLI
compiler from MS (not MC++), as recommended on the Mono site:
http://www.mono-project.com/CPlusPlus (#CodeGeneration)

Then conditionally switch out the CRT references with a CLR version:

#ifdef CLR

Tasty, non-CRT happy-happy

#else

Evil, CRT hurty-hurty

#endif

.. Then maybe re-submit back to CPython-land.