From: users [mailto:users-boun...@lists.open-mpi.org] On Behalf Of
r...@open-mpi.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:16 PM
To: Open MPI Users <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Questions about integration with resource
distribution systems

On Jul 25, 2017, at 3:48 PM, Kulshrestha, Vipul
<vipul_kulshres...@mentor.com<mailto:vipul_kulshres...@mentor.com>> wrote:

I have several questions about integration of openmpi with resource queuing
systems.

1.
I understand that openmpi supports integration with various resource
distribution systems such as SGE, LSF, torque etc.

I need to build an openmpi application that can interact with variety of
different resource distribution systems, since different customers have
different systems. Based on my research, it seems that I need to build a
different openmpi installation to work, e.g. create an installation of opempi
with grid and create a different installation of openmpi with LSF. Is there a
way to build a generic installation of openmpi that can be used with more than
1 distribution system by using some generic mechanism?

Just to be clear: your application doesn’t depend on the environment in any
way. Only mpirun does - so if you are distributing an _application_, then your
question is irrelevant.

If you are distributing OMPI itself, and therefore mpirun, then you can build
the various components if you first install the headers for that environment on
your system. It means that you need one machine where all those resource
managers at least have their headers installed on it. Then configure OMPI
--with-xxx pointing to each of the RM’s headers so all the components get
built. When the binary hits your customer’s machine, only those components that
have active libraries present will execute.

2.
For integration with LSF/grid, how would I specify the memory (RAM) requirement
(or some other parameter) to bsub/qsub, when launching mpirun command? Will
something like below work to ensure that each of the 8 copies of a.out have 40
GB memory reserved for them by grid engine?

qsub –pe orte 8 –b y –V –l m_mem_free=40G –cwd mpirun –np 8 a.out

You’ll have to provide something that is environment dependent, I’m afraid -
there is no standard out there.

3.
Some of our customers use custom distribution engine (some
non-industry-standard distribution engine). How can I integrate my openmpi
application with such system? I would think that it should be possible to do
that if openmpi launched/managed interaction with the distribution engine using
some kind of generic mechanism (say, use a configurable command to launch,
monitor, kill a job and then allow specification of a plugin define these
operations with commands specific to the distribution engine being in use).
Does such integration exist in openmpi?

Easiest solution is to write a script that reads the allocation and dumps it
into a file, and then provide that file as your hostfile on the mpirun cmd line
(or in the environment). We will then use ssh to perform the launch. Otherwise,
you’ll need to write at least an orte/mca/ras component to get the allocation,
and possibly an orte/mca/plm component if you want to use the native launch
mechanism in place of ssh.

Thanks,
Vipul