Dave,

unless you are doing direct launch (for example, use 'srun' instead of 'mpirun' under SLURM),

this is the way Open MPI is working : mpirun will use whatever the resource manager provides

in order to spawn the remote orted (tm with PBS, qrsh with SGE, srun with SLURM, ...).

then mpirun/orted will fork&exec the MPI tasks.

direct launch provides tightest integration, but it requires some capabilities (a PMI(x) server)

are provided by the resource manager.

hopefully the resource manager will report memory consumption and so on of the spawned process

(e.g. orted) but also its children (e.g. the MPI tasks)

back to SGE, and if i understand correctly, memory is requested per task on the qsub command line.

i am not sure what is done then ... this requirement is either ignored, or the requirement is set per orted.

(and once again, i do not know if the limit is only for the orted process, or its children too)

Bottom line, unless SGE natively provides PMI(x) capabilities, the current "tight integration" is imho the best we can do

Cheers,

Gilles