OpenMPI 5.0.0 & Intel OneAPI 2023.2.0 on MacOS 14.0:

In an ostensibly clean system, the following configure on MacOS ends without a
viable pmix build:

configure: WARNING: Either libevent or libev support is required, but neither
configure: WARNING: was found. Please use the configure options to point us
configure: WARNING: to where we can find one or the other library
configure: error: Cannot continue
configure: ===== done with 3rd-party/openpmix configure =====
checking for pmix pkg-config name... pmix
checking if pmix pkg-config module exists... yes
checking for pmix pkg-config cflags...
-I/usr/local/Cellar/open-mpi/4.1.5/include
checking for pmix pkg-config ldflags... -L/usr/local/Cellar/open-mpi/4.1.5/lib
checking for pmix pkg-config static ldflags...
-L/usr/local/Cellar/open-mpi/4.1.5/lib
checking for pmix pkg-config libs... -lpmix -lz
checking for pmix pkg-config static libs... -lpmix -lz
checking for pmix.h... no
configure: error: Could not find viable pmix build.

configure command used was:

lt_cv_ld_force_load=no ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/openmpi/5.0.0 FC=ifort
F77=ifort CC=icc CXX=icpc

***

The same command works (up to the end of the configure stage) with OpenMPI
4.1.6.

My guess is that this is related to some earlier pmix related issues that can
be found by google but wanted to report.

Thank you!
Best wishes
Volker

Volker Blum
Associate Professor, Duke MEMS & Chemistry
https://aims.pratt.duke.edu
https://bsky.app/profile/aimsduke.bsky.social