Nico Schlömer put forth on 9/14/2010 1:25 PM:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm running a RoundCube installation on a FreeBSD server here, and
> it's fed by a *remote IMAP server. As recommended in the settings, I
> set
>
>     $rcmail_config['enable_caching'] = true;
>
> but despite this, accessing the mails is *dead slow. It takes at least
> 5 seconds to access any given folder, and this doesn't seem to change
> after the folder has been accessed once (and hence cached?). This
> makes using RoundCube quite inconvenient.
> I'm quite oblivious as to what could cause such a slow performance,
> but I'm willing to test and try.
> Hints, anyone?

1. What is the link speed of the slowest network connection between the
RC server and the IMAP server?  What is the round trip packet time
between the two, i.e. ping, and how many hops, i.e. traceroute?

2. Do you have imapproxy installed on the RC server?

3. What web server are you using?

4. What version of PHP?

5. What version of FreeBSD?

6. What are the hardware specs (CPU speed/mem size) of both the RC
server and the IMAP server?

7. What IMAP server daemon/version is running on the IMAP server?

--
Stan