> Any errors in the logs?

Not much. When I look at the file, I see entries such as

[13-Sep-2010 20:56:43 +0200]: DB Error: MDB2 Error: constraint
violation Query: _doQuery: [Error message: Could not execute
statement] [Last executed query: EXECUTE
mdb2_statement_mysql_5402cc6941d0ca78aabaa369235b486032c57b068 USING
@0, @1, @2, @3, @4, @5, @6, @7, @8, @9, @10] [Native code: 1062]
[Native message: Duplicate entry '22-INBOX.msg-4801' for key 2]  in
/home/wins/win/win/www/mail/roundcubemail-0.4/program/include/rcube_mdb2.php
on line 644 (GET
/mail/?_task=mail&_action=list&_mbox=INBOX&_refresh=1&_remote=1&_=1284404196183&_unlock=1)

but don't occur every time I log in, and in fact I haven't been able
to reproduce them now.

The IMAP server in the present setup is installed in some physical
distance to the RoundCube server I believe, it's running some
Microsoft thing and generally I would say is not well administered.
This could potentially be the culprit (but wouldn't explain why it's
still slow with caching enabled). Is there any way I could test or
benchmark this?

Cheers,
Nico