On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:36:04 -0400, Nico Schlömer
<nico.schloe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * How would I find out what the connection speed between the RC and
> the IMAP server is?

Capture the traffic with a capture tool like the OSS tool Wireshark
(a.k.a. formerly Ethereal).

Then you can see how the pieces are talking to each other, with timing
information.

The connection speed (bits per second) doesn't matter as much as the
latency,
both of the network and the IMAP server. (How heavily loaded is it?)

You know, maybe that IMAP server even has a defense mechanism against
too frequent
connection attempts! I.e. a chunk of that 5 second delay could simply
be a "tarpit"
mechanism in the server to protect its resources against badly written
clients and denial-of-service attacks.

> * Caching doesn't seem to make a big difference. How to find out what
> the bottleneck is?
> * Any explanation on imapproxy? Never heard of it.

From the imapproxy.org page:

"ImapProxy simply sits between your Webmail server and your IMAP
server.
It accepts connections from your Webmail server for each client login,
then proxies that connection to your real IMAP server. When your
Webmail
client disconnects, ImapProxy will leave the connection open to the
IMAP
server such that when your Webmail client reconnects, the existing
connection may be re-used."

I.e. imapproxy does what an optimized IMAP client does by itself!

As an alternative to this proxying for connection persistence,
you can do replication:

Use fetchmail to periodically pull mail from the remote IMAP server to
a local mailbox, and run IMAP locally to serve up this replicated
mailbox.

This will be even faster since you are completely eliminating all
IMAP transactions between your webmail and the remote IMAP server.
You're browsing a purely local store.

But the "send/receive" button on your webmail will not actually be
polling the real IMAP server; you're relying on the fetchmail polling
(unless you hack that button to kick fetchmail).