Hi Stan,

I'm sorry that my not clarifying the background of this unsettled you somewhat.

I'm a PhD student at the University of Antwerp
<http://win.ua.ac.be/content/staff> and like many of my colleagues, I
was dissatisfied with the webmail interface that the ICT would
provide: It's old, it's buggy, and it seems unmaintained. Frustrating,
but oh well, I guess that's how it goes sometimes. Anyway, some
friends and I decided to have a look into free webmail solutions for
us to use at the Computer Science department, and to play around with
them a bit to see what's actually possible. This is purely a
spare-time activity really, but the success in setting up RoundCube
and getting a nice and modern webmail interface was quite
satisfactory.

Of course I don't demand official support for this in any way, but
because of our performance problems I thought I'd just drop a line to
the users' mailing list. Sorry if you felt startled by this. It's cool
if you decide to ignore these mails of course, I mean, that's what
people do with 99% of their mailing lists I guess. Anyway, thanks for
your help so far.

> You are posting here with a gmail address
> instead of your university address.
This is b/c the UA email doesn't perform well in some areas --
incredibly long delivery delays, 500MB mailbox limit, other funny
things.

Cheers,
Nico

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> Nico, do you have permission/authorization to connect this RC server to
> the campus Exchange server?  You are posting here with a gmail address
> instead of your university address.  This leads me to believe you are
> not acting in an official capacity.
>
> Furthermore, if you are not a member of the university IT staff, it is
> possible that network layer (router/qos) roadblocks are the reason for
> the abysmal performance, and you will never know this.  If _we_ are to
> help you make this RC server function properly, we require accurate
> answers to our questions.  If you cannot provide that accurate
> information, we won't be able to fully help you.
>
> Keep in mind none of us wants to assist a rogue student in doing
> something against university policy or without proper permission.
> Hacking is a personal endeavor, not one that should involve IT
> professionals around the world who are spending their valuable time
> assisting you in something that may very well be illegal in your
> jurisdiction.
>
> Are you authorized to be doing this?  If so, get the information on the
> Exchange server, and interface with its admin staff to optimize your RC
> performance.
>
> --
> Stan
>

> Nico Schlömer put forth on 9/14/2010 2:05 PM:
>
>> PING imap.ua.ac.be (143.169.245.58): 56 data bytes
>> 64 bytes from 143.169.245.58: icmp_seq=1 ttl=124 time=2.053 ms
>
>> traceroute to imap.ua.ac.be (143.169.245.58), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
>>  1  pcfw1 (143.129.75.14)  0.655 ms  0.695 ms  0.472 ms
>>  4  143.169.251.100 (143.169.251.100)  1.725 ms  1.471 ms  1.217 ms
>
> Both machines are on the same friggin campus network Nico.  I'm very
> glad now I asked these questions.  I'm probably not the only one who
> thought this RC server was fairly remote to the IMAP server...
>
>>> 2. Do you have imapproxy installed on the RC server?
>> Never heard of that.
>
> See my other post.
>
>>> 3. What web server are you using?
>>> 4. What version of PHP?