On 17.01.2014 16:25, Noel Butler wrote:
On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 18:58 +0100, Benny Pedersen wrote:

Charles Marcus skrev den 2014-01-16 20:27:
On 2014-01-15 1:54 PM, Benny Pedersen <me[at]junc.eu> wrote:
thunderbird need a plugin to make it work, roundcube it just works

default

Thunderbird has had a proper 'Reply-To-List' button/feature for a
long
time now.

and RCU maillist now makes it impossible to reply private :(

 why?

 Y O U are on a P U B L I C discussion list, if Y O U have something
private to say (not that much you say makes any bloody sense anyway)
it
 is Y O U that is changing the behaviour, so Y O U should be the one
to take whatever steps Y O U need so Y O U can contact someone direct,
like oh I dunno, hitting forward maybe

Note that Usenet, which provides a much more solid forum abstraction than the illusion created by mailing lists, supports private replies.

This ability is important in any civilized forum.

One function that it serves is that if it is used appropriately, it reduces noise.

For instance, suppose some noob contacts the list out of the blue and asks a question that is almost a carbon copy of #3 in the list's FAQ.

The appropriate thing is to send a private reply to the noob and direct them to the FAQ, and not waste the list's bandwidth.

If the list is moderated, the moderator might send this private reply (and not admit the useless question to the list at all).

In this very list, I have numerous times answered something privately, when it was basic confusion that comes up again and again (about what RCU is and isn't).

Your vehemence against private replies is bizarre and baffling.